Historic records recount that the original train station straddling the Howard County/Carroll County line was built in 1868 by the South Side Railroad in what was then called "Baldwinsville". It must have been replaced because other histories claim that it wasn't until 1883 that E. Frances Baldwin, one of Baltimore's most prolific architects designed the popular Queen Anne's style railroad station in what is now called Sykesville, Maryland. Named "Baldwin Station", presumably after the architect, the station opened for business in 1884.
Baldwin Station served as the "Main Line" for the B&O Railroad, the oldest railway in the United States, until the 1950's when it was closed to first passenger service and then freight service, though freight trains still use the old track, passing by the station several times a day.
In 1991, Baldwin Station underwent a major remodel, converting the old train station into "Baldwin's Station Restaurant". In the process, the original architecture was restored as much as possible which included jewel-toned stained glass windows, a wrap-around deck, elaborate exposed brickwork, hardwood floors and 20-foot ceilings with beautiful hand stenciled designs. A kitchen addition was added and the porch closed in for use during the less comfortable seasons. However, with the help of old photographs, in this painting every attempt has been made to show how the station was originally built in the 1880's, along with a B&O caboose.
"Baldwin Station", 20" x 30" oil on canvas, SOLD", prints available